MERCER ISLAND SISTER CITY ASSOCIATION
CONNECTING WITH THONON-LES-BAINS, FRANCE
- Thonon-les-Bains is located on the south shore of Lake Geneva in the Haute-Savoie region of France. It is only 30 miles from the Geneva airport and 350 miles from Paris.
- Population: 32,000
- The city is built on two levels. The lower part has a port and lakeside promenade, bustling with activity in spring and summer. The bluff above is the town center with pedestrian zones, lively shops and a large weekly outdoor market.
- The city is located only about a half hour from numerous ski areas in the French Alps.
- Thonon-les-Bains is noted for its flowers and has earned a “four flower” rating among cities in France.
- The Ripaille Castle, just outside of Thonon-les-Bains, was a former residence of the Dukes of Savoy.
- Lac Léman (Lake Geneva) is 45 miles long, 8.7 miles wide at its widest point and 1,020 feet deep at its deepest point.
To visit Mercer Island Sister City Association's photo slideshow of Thonon-les-Bains and nearby areas in the Haute Savoie region, adult delegation trips and student exchanges, please click here.