Travel to Thonon-les-Bains: Information Sheet
This information page is from a 2015 student exchange program and will serve as an example from a past student exchange. Each exchange will have unique elements, but this will provide a broad example.
Among the Mercer Island Sister City Association’s many activities is a very active exchange program with students in its “jumelle” city, Thonon-les-Bains, France. Thonon, a town of 32,000, is a short drive from Geneva, next to Evian (source of the famed spring water) on Lake Geneva, and is a stone’s throw from the breathtaking Alps. With its sparkling waterfront, proximity to mountains and healthy lifestyle, Thonon-les-Bains is a perfect “twin” for Mercer Island. Travel to France this Winter! Join the student exchange trip to Thonon-les-Bains, a lovely city on the shores of Lake Geneva.
MISCA, in cooperation with MIHS, has organized a trip to Thonon during mid-winter break 2015 for high schoolers to stay with host students and learn about our sister city, its history, culture and everyday life and visit Thonon area attractions. A sample itinerary from 2012 is outlined on the back of this page. In October 2015 the French students travel to MI, where they spend about a week with the same students they hosted in Thonon. MI students are carefully matched to hosts with similar interests.
· This trip will take place during 2015 mid-winter break: Friday, February 13 through Monday, February 23.
· Any high school student in grades 9-11 may apply; Sorry, no seniors, as students must welcome their French hosts on MI in October 2015.
· Host families cover the cost of students’ meals while students are in their homes; student’s families are responsible for their airfare, program fees and spending money for incidentals. Cost estimates are provided on the next page.
· Participants’ families must become two-year members of the MISCA.
· Participant’s families commit to assist with an MISCA event when French students visit Mercer Island.
Application forms, student interest statement & a small photo of yourself are due on DECEMBER 1, 2014.
For more information, call:
Beth Brennan: 206-232-7650
Linda Todd: 206-232-4570
Monica Howell: 206-232-2983